Minty, fudgy cookies that will impress even Santa!
- 1 and 1/2 sticks of butter
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces (about 2 cups) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon mint extract
- 2 1/4 cups flour plus 2 Tablespoons
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 2 or 3 packages of Andes Mints
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a saucepan combine the butter, brown sugar, water and salt over medium heat until the butter is melted. Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate. Stir to melt the chocolate and make sure all of the ingredients are combined. The mixture will probably look grainy, and that is okay. Stir in the extracts and allow the mixture to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- While the chocolate mixture is cooling whisk together in a medium bowl the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda and set aside. Also while waiting for the chocolate to cool, crack the eggs into a small bowl and unwrap the Andes mints so they are ready to go.
- Once the chocolate mixture has had a chance to cool down a bit add it to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Adding the eggs one at a time, beat until they are just combined into the mixture. With the mixture on the lowest speed, slowly add the dry ingredients until they are just combined. Scrape the bowl with a spatula to finish incorporating any flour that was stuck to the bottom or the sides of the bowl.
- At this point if your dough is runny you will need to put the bowl of dough in the fridge to cool down. I typically chill the dough for 10 minutes, but you could chill for as long as 30. While the dough is chilling line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Once the dough has chilled and is more “scoopable,” scoop Tablespoon sized dollops onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 7-9 minutes depending on your oven. (In my oven these cookies take 9 minutes.) When you pull them out of the oven they will look really under baked. That is okay because they will continue to bake on the sheet. Allow the cookies to rest on the baking sheet for 1 minute. After 1 minute top each cookie with 1/2 or one whole Andes Mint and allow to sit for 2 minutes, then take a knife and spread the mint like frosting on the top of the cookies.
- Remove the cookies to a cooling rack and allow the chocolate to set and the cookies to cool completely before storing in an air tight container.
Keywords: cookies, chocolate, mint, andes, dessert, treat